Blogging and Narcissism

by Ashley on April 20, 2010 · 15 comments

If you blog, you have to be at least a little — if not a lot — narcissistic. You’re putting your words, advice, insight and photos out there because you believe that others will want to read them. You believe you have something to offer that will be of value to others, that your experiences are interesting enough that people will want to see photographs of you and read all about it.

I blog because I have a lot to say about weight loss and healthy living, having lost 120 pounds. I like to share tips, insights and recipes that my 300-pound self would liked to have known. It sounds silly, but I could never really pinpoint why I was fat until I started to lose weight. If I can help one other obese person, then Fashionably Fit will have served its purpose.

The personal touch, of course, is one facet that sets blogs apart from traditional media. It’s nice to get to know the blogger — where they live, their pets, their loved ones. I try to take a personal experience of mine and tie it to the bigger picture of weight loss and healthy living.

Personal touches go too far when your blog becomes “the awesome adventures of me and my awesome life.” It’s one thing to post a million photos with race recaps, special events and vacations, but when a routine dinner out or an afternoon walk¬†merits a photo of you, you have a problem.

Don’t get me wrong. I want to see your photos. I want to get to know you and your story. But it’s really apparent to everyone when you are just that into yourself. You might have thousands of readers — but you’re a laughing stock to many. If that’s all you care about — numbers — then continue to post bikini-clad crotch shots. As for me, I’d rather have a¬†small group of readers who offer real insight and feedback.

Katie April 20, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Laughed out loud at the bikini clad crotch shot comment.. I remember seeing one of those a few months ago and thinking omg, don’t you realize there are creepy old men out there just waiting for pics like that??!

Rachel April 20, 2010 at 2:43 pm

HA! Leah and I had a long talk about this on Sunday because during our blogger weekend, we never took any pictures of ourselves or each other and I was saying that I feel like a lot of bloggers tend to post so many pics of themselves. Me with the wine! Me with the steak! Me at Whole Foods! Sometimes even when I feel like a post DOES warrant a picture of me, I still hate doing it; it feels so self-serving. And I hate when the pics are so clearly posed just for the blog. I try to find an older candid shot of me doing something relating to the topic rather than setting up a new cheesetastic one.

MelissaNibbles April 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm

The only pics of me on my blog are ones where I’m looking fine as hell…they are few and far between.

Suzanne April 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This is too funny. There are some bloggers that I do like a lot, but tend to get annoyed at sometimes because of this very reason. That’s cool that you did yoga. I don’t need to see a picture of you in every pose. If you’re actually trying to demonstrate how to do the pose, that’s one thing, but otherwise, that picture really wasn’t helpful and it looks like you’re just showing off.

Stephanie April 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

OMG YES and THANK YOU! I’m definitely not going to lie, I’m sure you can peruse my blog and find a photo of me here and there…but seriously. There are blogs out there where every other sentence is a photo of them. I don’t care! No one cares so please stop posting them! We all know what you look like with every facial impression imaginable so please spare us! I’ve stopped reading quite a few blogs because I felt as though they just wanted people to comment on how “awesome” there life was. boorrring!

Bess April 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I am so glad you posted this! I wondered if there was something wrong with me for not posting pics of me very often…bc I get annoyed when people post way too many pictures in a way that seems almost in a self-inflatory sense/fodder for braggery.

Plus I get more excited about posting a quirky viral video than a pic of myself.

chandra April 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I think I’ve posted quite a few of pictures of myself… usually with drink in hand lately. If not that then a hot mess after a long run. But I don’t think that makes me narcissistic. My blog IS about me and my life and my journey, so I share those moments.

Granted, I don’t take these pictures JUST for the blog, usually they are actually for my own personal memories (many of the pictures I’ve posted are framed in my apartment as well), but I do post quite a few personal pictures and don’t see anything wrong with it since my blog is about my life.

Gracie April 21, 2010 at 3:22 am

*raises hand* I’m that girl who has self photo shoots and posts them from time to time, haha :P I admit it, I totally am! And I joke all the time about being narcissistic. But I’ve found that I personally love visiting blogs where the author posts pictures of herself often (I especially appreciate “fashion shots” because I’m always looking for tips!). It makes me feel like I can relate to them more. I guess it’s all a personal preference, though! I also enjoy photos from vacations, etc. because sometimes food shots day after day can get kind of redundant. It’s nice to see that bloggers actually have LIVES too, haha!

Sophie @ yumventures April 21, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Sometimes I am shocked at the number of hits people get from posting “here is another bowl of oatmeal I ate for breakfast”. Then 50 people will comment about how good it looks. Except its oatmeal and does it really “look” that good? I think I have only ever posted 2 pictures of myself on my blog, and one was to show off a pretty rad 80s costume, which yes, I believe warrants some narcissism :)

Heather April 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Uhh… I never post pictures of myself. I don’t have a problem with other people doing it (to a certain extent), but I don’t know if you will actually find even one picture of me on my blog. And I know some of my fave bloggers even post pictures of themselves just sitting in front of their computers, which I will never understand. I love seeing action shots (Chandra, I like yours! I like the boozing shots even more, haha), but like 18 pictures of a 40-minutes walk is a bit annoying, no matter how beautiful the day was. So… in conclusion, I agree with everything said!

Dori April 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I love pictures of myself! I go nuts with the posing when I see professional race photogs. I’m a ham.

Julie April 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm

A.MEN.

Emmm June 19, 2010 at 1:46 am

Blogging is very, very self-centered.

Former Blogger January 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’ve recently closed down my blog when I realized I was boring even myself lol