Don’t Curb Your Enthusiasm — Just Spell It Right

by Laura on March 11, 2011 · 24 comments

Here at Hollaback Health, we are ALL about expressing your enthusiasm. We love it when bloggers are excited about what they’re telling us. We relish being surprised (and seeing you get surprised) in your posts, and we want to get on the rooftop and holla along when you celebrate your health successes, fitness triumphs, and batches of cookies and scones gone right.

So let’s not curb our enthusiasm — let’s just spell it right!

Voila

If you’re about to surprise us and want to come on all French (maybe) and sophisticated (definitely), you want to be spelling it “Voila.” If you can get the accent grave at the end of the word (so it looks très chic — “voilà!”), so much the better, but don’t sweat that — it’s the spelling that matters. “Voala,” “wah-la,” “walla,” “vuala,” even “viola”…. Sorry, but these just aren’t correct.

Whoa

When you tell us that you just had the hardest training session and lifted your own body weight in a stinky weight room full of oily muscle-men while smelling the enticing double whammy of eau de cheap toilette and stankness, let’s all say “whoa.” We see “woah” all the time, but “whoa” is the right spelling… unless you want to say “woo hoo,” “woot woot,” or “Holy mother[insert expletive here], I am an iron machine.”

None of us wants our spelling snafus to overshadow our amazing feats of sassiness — and we can bet you don’t, either!

Melie March 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm

How about “yuhu”? How is it written? yuhu? woohoo? wahoo? Do you guys even use that word? I usually go with “yuhu!” and if anybody says something, I blame it on me being Greek. Oh, the things my nationality has gotten me out of… :-)

Phoebe March 12, 2011 at 6:08 am

I really love seeing expressions that are spelled differently in foreign languages. For example I had a Chilean friend and I loved how she would write “jajaja” on my facebook wall. So if you ask me, yuhu away!

Becca March 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

While we’re on this topic, the word is “spiel”, not “schpeel” or “shpeel”.

The delicious, crispy and creamy little morsels are called “macaroons”, unless you are actually speaking French. I trust Ladurée over anyone else on this topic.
Becca´s last post ..Stuff I Really- Really Need

Abby Bean March 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Ok, now you’ve stumped me. I thought they were macarons in any language, macaroons being reserved for the coconut mounds.

AT March 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm

My Dad is constantly sending me “editor notes” when I mix something up. He often goes on to include word origins. Anyway, I wanted to mention that unless I’m super confused myself, I think there is an error on the topic of Voila… in your final sentence on the subject, you listed some common misspellings, but also included Voila (the correct spelling). ??

Laura March 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for catching that, AT! I’ve amended it to what it should have read originally (and I’m most surprised that the word got corrected automatically on spellcheck!)

AT March 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm

lol. Spellcheck: friend or foe!?!

Laura March 11, 2011 at 6:48 pm

My thoughts exactly!

CJ March 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm

For the love of God, thank you! The bloggers who spell it wah-la actually make my head hurt! It’s a sign of not reading enough…

-CJ

Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal March 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Amen. And for the love of all things good, it’s Yay! not Yeah! (yeah, is like “Yeah, sure I’ll do it, Mom”).

Laura, I need some re-schooling on “effect and affect” though…one of my Biology freshmen asked me today which was correct for her poster and I froze. Ack.

Joanna B. March 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm

That Yeah thing makes me nuts! Didn’t even think about it in this context.
Joanna B.´s last post ..Breakfast on the Go- Almost the Same as at Home

Laura March 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

Sure thing! What was she trying to say in the poster?

Dori March 12, 2011 at 2:35 am

Although those of us who grew up on the Baby-Sitters Club remember Yay being spelled Yea.
Dori´s last post ..DSB Favorite Things &amp Photo Caption Contest

Phoebe March 12, 2011 at 6:06 am

I see “yea” occasionally too. It totally bothers me but is, I suppose, acceptable. Like “Yah” or “Ya” instead of “Yeah.” I think that latter one could be just a New England thing but am not sure.

Kim March 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Voila is the one that annoys me the most! Thank you!

Melie March 12, 2011 at 4:02 am

Oh, and I just remembered my personal peeve: “Guten morgan”! If you want to show off your inexistent German, I have onlyy 2 words for you: google translate. It’s “Guten Morgen” for ** sake!

Abby Bean March 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Becca March 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm

‘Fraid not. Macaroons are any type of Moroccan-style cake, be they almond thins or or soft and topped with coconut. Saying “macaron” is just the same as adopting any other random foreign word when there’s a perfectly good English translation.

But… It does appear to be one of those quirks that is becoming more widespread, like “au contraire” or “Gesundheit”. At least it’s translated correctly, I guess. Unlike “entrée”!
Becca´s last post ..Stuff I Really- Really Need

Eunice March 16, 2011 at 3:24 am

Whoa….now you have me thinking about how I’ve been spelling “whoa” all these years. I think I was doing it right. I think.
Eunice´s last post ..Black and Blue and Purple

marie March 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

One of my peeves is when someone who doesn’t speak any Spanish whatsoever uses words like “mucho” and “bueno” to sound more worldly. Or when someone has clearly used a thesaurus to look up a word: “oh, hey, I’ve already used “run” four times in the last paragraph, I’ll stick in “jaunt,” right here to make it sound different.
marie´s last post ..crickets

Uttoran Sen March 19, 2011 at 8:21 am

MS word auto correct most of those mistakes, but somehow even MS telling you that you are typing it wrong, is a bit of an insult when it comes to these common and frequently used words.

the problem with these kind of words is that when we write it, we are equally excited and as you have rightly put, enthusiasm brings the mistake. My suggestion is to proofread it before publishing, and all will be fine.
Uttoran Sen´s last post ..8 Healthy Travel Beauty Tips for a Fabulous Face

Janet March 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

My pet peeve is when bloggers say “buttah” instead of butter…. SO ANNOYING!

Great post!

marie March 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm

co-sign!
marie´s last post ..running for spite

TheKiwiBex March 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Although it’s not strictly a spelling issue, the one that gets me is “addicting”…it’s “addictive”, people!